Thursday, May 29, 2008

Off the Top of My Head

No one makes me laugh like Chelsey Handler and her program Chelsey Lately! I'd love to be as irreverent, blunt, and totally honest as she is and tell the whole world what I REALLY think, rather than keeping it hidden behind a facade of social politeness. This past week, there have been several times that I've wanted to take off the gloves and have my say, but I tamped it down and kept it inside -- and then wonder why I have difficulty sleeping. It's harder to do the right thing, darn it.

Barack Obama should be loudly denouncing the scathing black racism that passes for worship in his culture. If there were any (white) voters sitting on the fence, wondering if this is the time to vote for the first black president, I think the spate of recent overtly racial attacks against whites accompanied by choruses of Jesus Loves Me will keep him out of office.

I love my front yard! All the work I put into the desert landscaping paid off in a peaceful, quiet front yard that invites a person to sit and soothe. I hope the backyard turns out as nice and that I enjoy it as much as I enjoy the front yard.

I wish I could figure out a way to make the doggie door work, but it simply doesn't fit into the space it's supposed to occupy.

The craft project I'm working on could be really great or look totally amateurish: I'm wanting the really great result and will be pissed if I can't pull it off.

After spending an hour filling out the on-line application for Blue Cross insurance to replace my COBRA and save a couple hundred dollars every month, I doubt I'll be approved. In life, I'm actually a pretty healthy person, but on paper, I don't look so good: asthma (controlled), diabetes 2 (controlled), and 2 broken arms (healed) within 3 months of one another come across as suspicious. And I had to answer the question whether I have had anything to drink in the past 12 months honestly: I do have a glass of white wine every so often, perhaps 2-3 times a year!

There was nowhere on the form to say that I've been working 3-5 hours a day for the past month to landscape my backyard, moving large amounts of earth, as well as setting 200 12 x 12 pavers into place. No place to say that I've worked 2-3 jobs concurrently for the past 20+ years and not used up a lot of sick days.

What's going to sink me is having a glass of wine a couple of times a year!

I am SICK AND TIRED of the intimate discussions and photographs of the current crop of BABY BUMPS and protruding belly buttons! I DON'T CARE and I DON'T WANT TO SEE THE PICTURES, no matter how big the star is who's carrying the little bundle(s) of joy. And I don't ever again want to hear the term "baby bump." I'm rooting for BABY BULGE, which doesn't sound quite as cute and may turn the tide away from the over-exposure of pregnant women parading across the red carpets.

Finally, is anyone else tired of the "instant stars" that permeate our culture? In music, they are called "one hit wonders," but in TV land they are instant stars, the young people who garner fame from boob jobs, weird hair-do's, hanging out with well-known people, or doing anything so totally outrageous that they are featured on the evening news and parlay that into a career as ... a star. What happened to talent? to education? to skill? to earning a rightful place in the world? to being paid commisserate with what what knows and can do? Kim Kardashian is an example of an individual who is now the star of a TV show because ... she has a big ass? a boob job? a nasty attitude and demeaning treatment of her friends, family, and complete strangers? is a serial slut who sleeps her way onto the entertainment news? whose father is a well-known lawyer? whose step-father is a former athlete? who thinks the world revolves around her?

If society is going to propel people to prominence, perhaps the person so propelled should have some substance to support the exposure?

No comments: