Monday, May 19, 2008

Paver Patio Stage One

Record-setting temps in the desert: 110 yesterday and at least 109 today. Therefore, those of us who know better stay inside and limit exposure to the fierce rays of the sun to little bits and pieces.

I was out at 6 am and pretty much wrapped up phase 1 of the paver patio by 9 am. It's still in the rough draft stage, but I'll go back for the detail work after I place the other 2 stages of the project--hopefully, one part tomorrow and the final part Wed morning (EARLY).

Stage 2 will go where the wheelbarrow is, stepped down 2 paver squares and extended by 2 squares on the near end. Stage 3 will do the same step down so the patio fills the space without being one big, boring rectangle. In the step downs, I may put benches or pots of plants so I don't need to use the actual 8x8 squares of pavers for creating interest. My goal is to echo what I did out front, without repeating the same look, so they tie together but are different.

The plan is to surround the paver patio with the same crushed rock that I used in the front landscaping project to keep the sand at bay, as well as the summer puncture weeds that plague woman and beast. I'm not sure when the crushed rock finish will be applied, but my goal is to set the pavers by this weekend.

From the corner of the paver facing the camera lense, I'm going to put a step-up walkway out of the same pavers that will connect the existing cement slab to the new paver patio. It's going to come at an angle, but I haven't figured out the exact details of that ... yet.

A hitch in the plan is yet another flat tire on the wheelbarrow, which is just too small to handle the loads of dirt I'm moving in it. I may try to borrow a larger barrow or give in and buy the larger size I should have bought in the first place -- but didn't. And, before I leave in July, I must have a watering system in place or I'll lose all the plants that have established themselves beautifully since planting a month ago. For this, I'm calling in a gardener I used before as he not only kept his appointment, but he gave me a price, honored the price, and did all the work he was hired to do -- not just anyone in the desert has the same ethics!

My big toe was comfortable in my gardening shoes, so it's okay. My wrist likes the wrist brace and isn't hurting nearly as much as it was all last week. The doctor called and told me I have a lot of arthritis in my left shoulder, neck, and wrist (no duh) and can get a cortisone shot to relieve the pain if I want it. I'll hold off until I'm finished moving pavers and then take the shot.

No comments: