Thursday, September 11, 2008

Mia Prognosticator

This morning, Mia came in and agressively woke me up about 3:40 am. She nervously paced throughout the house, looked out the front window, stuck her nose out the doggie door, pacing, pacing, pacing. About 5 am, she finally settled back down ... and there was another earthquake in the valley!

This afternoon, she came and found me again, licked my hand, nuzzled her nose under my armpit (one of her favorite places) and climbed onto my lap. Suddenly, the door to the garage began making noise and I heard sand pinging against the livingroom window, so I got up and looked outside.

As far as the eye could see, it could see nothing but sand. I turned on the news and heard a "breaking news" story about the huge sandstorm coming across the desert floor from the east. When the hurricanes come into the Gulf, the winds on the westward edges push clouds, rain, and sand across our valley. Today's sandstorm was so heavy that drivers pulled off I-10 and waited for it to pass as they had no visibility on the interstate.

Mia knows. She keeps me safe (and slobbered).

UPDATE: The media was filled with coverage on the weird sandstorm that started in Desert Center and hung on for a couple of hours. We got a little bit of rain from it, but a whole lotta sand.

No comments: