Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Updating Recent Blogs

(1) Thanks to Glen Beck for reading my blog (obviously) as he picked up on the "which part of mandatory evacuation don't you understand" theme I had going. His suggestion was to let the people who stayed behind fend for themselves come hell or high water. His peeve was in line with mine: why should taxpayers have to pay to rescue people who chose to flaut the mandate? They were directed to evacuate; they wanted to stay; let them stay until all the other urgent matters are taken care of before anyone deals with theirs.

(2) Little Missy not only wrote in her workbook, but she tore out the requisite pages for me! Of course, she doesn't know that I know that she went to the same person I talked with to clarify the situation. She went there to complain about me, while I went there to find a solution to the problem. Gotcha!

(3) Another student waltzed into class today, his 2nd class in 5 weeks, and one of those he left halfway through. I directed him to go to Student Services and drop the class as (1) he isn't attending (2) he hasn't completed any of the work to date (3) he doesn't have the required textbooks and (4) he's failing.

His counselor sent him back to class. When I questioned what he was doing back, he said (are you sitting down?) that his counselor told him that as long as he isn't failing the class, he should stick it out.

I was actually too pissed to say anything other than, "If that's what you want to do, that's what you're going to do." However, I warned him HE IS FAILING THE CLASS AND NEEDS TO DROP IT TODAY or he will repeat it next semester after wasting another 12 weeks of his time and my professional resources.

(4) Not bad for a day that began with a flat tire! I drove the couple of blocks to the big box tire store to have it fixed and was stunned to find that the cost of fixing a flat is now $24.95 -- if it can be fixed. There are now federal regulations about which tires can be repaired and which ones cannot and must be replaced; therefore, I was not allowed to pay until the repairperson determined which category fit my flat tire.

Tomorrow, the truck goes into the shop for its 18K tune-up and next week the Camry goes in, but that's one of the big mileage tune-ups, 85k, and will probably blow what little discretionary income I have this month.

Oh, well, that's just how it goes these days.

No comments: