Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Senestra II

It is NOT my hand that is the problem. The swollen lump, the bulging blood vessels, the excruciating pain when I try to hold an item, pick up an object, open the car door, etc., is referred pain from some serious disc problems in my neck, as well as on-going degenerative spinal disease.

Well, that's what the PA said: I've never actually seen a doctor.

According to the MRI, I have spinal stenosis, a fancy term for some slipped discs that are resting on the nerve that goes from my spine, across my shoulder, down my arm, and into my hand. This condition is a result of the traumatic shoulder injury a few years back, and there is no cure, just various treatments that are tried until one works well enough that I can deal with it.

The recommended treatment is one or more series of 3 epidural injections into the slipped discs, administered while I'm on valium. The doctor does this while using x-ray to make sure the meds go into the correct little spot, rather than into an area that could have potential consequences. To make this happen, I have to show up one of the two days a week the procedure is done -- and I cannot drive myself to/from because I have to take the valium. That's an added kink I'm not sure how to incorporate into the event as everyone I know either works or lives out of town.

Anyway, with treatment, which could encompass as many as 3 series of 3 injections each, I should feel at least 75% better, experience less pain less often, and regain use of my hand, although that may be limited use, rather than full use.

Whatever.

My concern is whether the lump that keeps swelling and throbbing is going to go away, but "we" can't answer that question until "we" finish the series of injections and see how "we" react to them.

Did you just hear the KA-CHING of the medical cash register?

No comments: