Monday, September 15, 2008

Truth be told

Sometimes, the truth is funnier than any fiction!

It's time to start the research process ( I stress that it's not an event, but an on-going process that takes about 6-8 weeks to do well), so today I began talking about choosing a topic. Basically, the student can select any topic as long as (1) he/she has a genuine need to know and (2) the topic can be focused appropriately and (3) lends itself to academic research.

When I asked if there were questions about selecting a topic, one very young female student voiced her opinion that it's not fair for me to select their topic as they have to write the paper, so they should select the topic. I acknowledged that she is right, which is why I don't select the topic for the student, but allow the student to select the topic as long as he/she can justify the need to know criteria.

"Well, " she said, totally perplexed, "that's what I mean. You keep saying 'as long as YOU have a need to know,' but I think it should be MY need to know about the topic, not YOURS."

Okay, I would have laughed out loud had I not realized that she was totally serious and just wanted permission to find her own topic, based on her own need to know. It was easier all the way around to admit that she is right, right, right -- and direct the class to find a topic about which each of THEM has an individual need to know. Happy, happy, happy.

Topping this, sad to say, is the little disagreement I had with a student last week when I directed her to write in her consumable workbook, which she refused to do because the book is provided by a department on campus and must be returned to them.

If that is the case, I explained, she will have to purchase a workbook because she is going to write in it, I am going to tear pages out, and if she cannot afford a book, I'll help her obtain one so she can meet this requirement. Or she can copy the entire book, for all I care.

She actually told me that I'm "not the boss of her" and cannot tell her what to do -- before she stomped out of the room. I thought that went well and can't wait to see her tomorrow.

Finally, today 2 students attended class for the 2nd time in 5 weeks, neither of whom has either a textbook or a completed assignment. I spoke to each of them and told them to drop the class and take it next semester, which did not go over well as both of them assured me that they will "work really hard and make up all the assignments" they have missed.

I told them that is not an option and directed them to leave class, go to Student Services, and drop the class. One said okay, while the other said "no way." He was insistent that he had already done the back assignments, was working on the current essay, then started thumbing through his folder. When I asked him for his textbook, he again told me he doesn't have one, which led me to my next comment: "You cannot have completed the assignments if you don't have a textbook. Go to Student Services and drop the class."

He was one unhappy camper as he picked up his belongings and said loudly, so everyone could hear, "This isn't fair. I've been here and done all the work and you're kicking me out." Can't wait to see what comes tomorrow as a result of his perception becoming my reality!

No comments: