Friday, October 23, 2009

'Lil Stinker

Whereas my front yard is all in yellows, reds, and oranges, my backyard is a profusion of purple. Yes, I had to replant, but it was an unusually HOT summer, so it was not unexpected. However, when I bought the ONE small purple "garlic" plant, I had no idea that it could fill my house with such a pungent odor from the patio!! Of course, at that time the windows were shut most of the time to keep the expensive conditioned air inside, but with the coming of fall, I'm using nature's own fresh air throughout.

Maybe we'll make that "was using" as I'm not so sure I can continue to open the doors and windows and live to enjoy the landscaping.

I'm sniffling, sneezing, blowing, hacking and coughing -- and underneath it all is the distinct odor of garlic. Took me a bit to put one and one together to come up with two as math is really not my strong suit, but I've made the connection and now have to figure out what to do about it. How big is that one itty bitty plant going to grow? How far from the patio do I have to relocate it to diffuse the stench? Are the delicate light lavendar blossoms worth the allergies?

The hummingbirds, the bees, the butterflies, the small little birds, the big, black crows -- nature loves my gardens, but it appears that my body isn't as enamored. I'm going to give it a couple of days to see if it all calms down before taking any definite action, but I'm certainly going to do a sniff test before I bring another plant home!

No comments: