Saturday, October 10, 2009

Starting Over -- Again

Why is it that each time I go see "my" doctor, we start over? It's as if I've never set foot in the office prior to this visit. This time, we updated my medical records, which show I have an allergy to shrimp, one of my favorite seafoods. When we checked the list of current medications, I said, "No, you told me not to continue taking that medication the last time I was here."

"Oh," was the response.

However, when I explained that I do have a concern this visit and described it, I was asked if I am "still taking" a medication that has never been prescribed for me! When I responded that I am not and why, I was told that "every patient with diabetes should be taking this medication to prevent kidney damage."

At that point, I asked why, if it is she who told me that I have diabetes three years ago, that medication was not prescribed at that time. "I'm not sure," was the reply.

Guess this is heavy-handed of me, but I expect my doctor to be "sure," not to make guesses. And, it may be that my present medical issue is related to that failure to prescribe the medication three years ago!

I also have spent 3 days making phone calls as I was supposed to have an ultra-sound "stat" on my back/kidney area, as well as the arteries in my neck, one to address the present issue and the other to follow-up on the vertigo that has been part of my life for about 18 months! The question was, "Have we tried anything else for the vertigo," to which I responded no, not after the five separate visits to the office did not produced the desired results, and that is what led to the "let's try an ultrasound on the arteries" because it could indicate hardening of the arteries, which I've been led to believe can be a significant medical issue, not an after-thought.

The reason for all the phone calls the past couple of days is that the lab never called me to schedule the procedure, so when I contacted the doctor's office, they told me to call the lab, which told me that they didn't have the doctor's orders, so I was directed to call the doctor back, who assured me that they have been faxed, which meant that I had to call the lab back, which would not schedule the procedure because they still don't have the orders!!!!!

At that point, I directed the lab to call the doctor directly because it is NOT my job to be the go-between. I am the patient; I need the procedures; set it up and do it. My "stat" procedure will now be sometime next week, I guess, as I still have not heard back from the lab to set up an appointment.

I am loathe to go the doctor because every office visit seems to result in the same scenario: I have a medical issue which (1) never turns out to be serious and (2) always turns into a fiasco.

No comments: