Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I Feel Healthy, Oh So Healthy!

Talk about impressive: I received a personal call from the doctor's office to assure me that all my labs came back just fine: every test is within normal ranges. That means both my A1C and my blood sugars are fine, so I continue to control the diabetes with diet and exercise. Good. I do not have a problem with cholesterol, which given my family history is amazing and another medical challenge I don't have to handle at this time.

However, I still have a spot in my back that hurts like hell, and getting an appointment for the ultrasound continues to be a challenge.

I called again yesterday, between classes, to make the appointment, confident that the doctor's orders were in the lab's office. Not so. I heard the same "we cannot make an appointment without the doctor's orders," and my response was predicated on my on-going back pain: "That is bullshit!" I explained how many phone calls I had made between the imaging lab and my doctor's office over a period of three days and concluded that even an incompetent staff at either location would have the doctor's orders by now.

To her credit, the employee on the receiving end of my temper tantrum said, "Let me put you on hold while I contact the doctor's office," which I assumed would be a ploy to add to my cell phone usage and end in frustration. Happily, I was wrong: within two minutes she said they had the doctor's orders, so we began the process of finding an appointment time that worked for both of us.

They manage four offices in four different parts of the Valley, including "up the hill," which is where I am on Wednesday. Since the other 3 offices did not have availability until later next week, I opted for stopping for the ultra-sounds on my way home tomorrow: my back hurts, and I want to know the cause.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: