Tuesday, July 6, 2010

iPOD People: Some Directions, Please

I did buy the iPOD Touch, with 8 gig of memory and a separate set of earbuds from another manufacturer. I wrestled my way through the packaging to disclose the flat, silver magic communicator, but that's where Apple lost me: there are NO directions! The "start here" message took me to pictures of products and glowing rhetoric about my journey into Appleland, but I need directions, beginning with "How to Turn the Damned Thing On." There is nothing to indicate how I charge the battery and nothing that looks like a charger in the really small, flat clear plastic box in which the iPOD was packed. I wonder if the charger is an extra piece of equipment that has to be purchased from the Apple store?

I did the double tap on the icons, finding the map first, but ... no clue how to close that one so I can try another, and NO directions! I hit what I think is the Off button, then pushed it again to turn it back on, and tried another icon. Going from one icon to another never did happen, including that swoosh motion my g'son did so well last summer as he zoomed here and there on his iPod. Do NOT tell me that I have to be techno savvy to use this thing or I'm gonna be pissed. ANYONE, even a senior citizen, should be able to figure this thing out, right?

IF you can pay for it, you should be able to play with it!

Then, I selected the APP button as I want to download some audio books, but that took me to the Apple Store, from which I can purchase Apple products ... but not the desired apps for my iPOD. I typed in a website to help me learn navigation, but it took me to iTunes -- and I don't know if I want tunes on my iPOD, especially if I cannot figure out how to navigate from one app to another! Imagine compounding that problem with, let's say, 100 tunes I could select and keep in a play list: horrifying thought, that. There are a couple of icons on the screen I want to delete, but I don't think that's an option: Apple determined what I want on my screen and put it there for me. Just that much more to avoid!

I figured out how to check my email, but how on Earth does anyone type an email address into the window?? I used my pinky finger and still could not hit the right key two times in a row. Glad I was able to determine that the large X meant delete what I just did so I can redo it. The Z is so close to the Shift key that I kept getting a shift when I wanted a letter. Silly me, I thought, "ah ha, I'll use the stylus from my PalmPilot!" That would be "no," as it seems the screen only reacts to human touch, not mechanical devices.

I'm meeting with my teenage nieces this weekend, so I'm just going to come right out and ask for some lessons, especially how to find the BOOK app at the app store. Once I can figure this out, it'll be fine, but if that day doesn't arrive in a timely manner, my son will receive a package in the mail. Yeah, he'll be rooting for that option!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an avid apple user I felt compelled to respond to your post. I'm Jenn, we met at your son's wedding, I was the maid of honour. It's late right now, so I hope this will help you get it fully charged. There should be a white cord in the package that plugs into a USB port on your computer. With your computer on, plug the cord into the computer and into the end of your iPod. It is the cord pictured on the far right in the following link:
http://the-gadgeteer.com/asset_cache/a/ap/apple-ipod-touch-2.jpg
iTunes will probably open, ignore it and let it charge overnight. Hope this helps you to get started.

Liza said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This simple little piece of black and silver is a complex piece of equipment way beyond my pay grade! I spent almost an hour online, trying to find a simple set of how-to's, but never did. I did plug the white cord into my laptop, but guess I didn't realize that when I shut off the laptop, the battery would not charge. Whatever.

Monique said...

So did you find out how to get out of each app without turning it off?? If not let me know. =) The typing takes some getting used to. I used to not be able to type on those things, but I can do it a lot easier now. You'll get it. :)