Friday, July 23, 2010

Scripted

This evening, I was in the kitchen doing up the dishes when I heard that robotic, oddly spaced dialog from the Oksana tapes: you know, the ones where she sounds as if she's reading a script, while Mel rants uncontrollably in response. Since the first time I heard the first tape, I've thought it sounds scripted, as if she is reading her lines in an odd manner, the pacing and the lack of emotion quite telling: this is not a real argument, it is a play being performed for a very specific audience by a really bad actress who couldn't deliver a believable line to save her soul.

The voice I heard was on an old episode of Law and Order, delivered by a woman whose voice exactly matches the Oksana tapes! As a matter of fact, the words the actress was saying is what caught my attention because I thought, "I've heard that same dialog ... on the Mel tapes."

Perhaps I'm totally wrong, but it was attention-getting, and that usually doesn't happen unless it's spot-on a recalled memory, rather than a fleeting resemblance.

No comments: