Wednesday, July 21, 2010

A Sheety Day

One day, while rambling through a linens' store, I came across the most incredible sheets I've ever touched. Not just creamy in color, but with a soft, creamy texture that ages remarkably well. After several months of luxuriating on this set of sheets, I decided to purchase another set as I did NOT want to become my mother, who slept on one set of sheets, washed them, and put them back onto her mattress before returning to bed that night. I always told her it was okay to have two sets of sheets -- or more, if she wanted them -- but she lived through the Great Depression and felt that one sheet was more than many people had -- you know, back then: half a century ago!

The high-end sheets I purchased didn't seem exactly the same as the ones I had purchased earlier, but they had the same extraordinarily high thread count and were within budget, so I purchased them. I washed them before use, an old habit, and then made my bed. Yes, they are soft, and have aged well, but they are wider than they are long, so they don't tuck in at the bottom and stay tucked. I've tossed and turned them loose at the bottom for about a year now, and even reverted to using the "better" set of high-end luxury sheets every day, washing and returning to the bed in one day (I'm sure my mother would approve).

Today, I decided that's it: I'm going to fix this tuck-in by adding to the bottom of the sheet, which will become the tucked-in part and not seen by the sheet police.

Much better!! And I didn't do this a year ago because ...

No comments: