Sunday, January 25, 2009

Ill-Informed

In an effort to view and discuss each of the nominees for Oscar, I found myself buying a ticket for The Reader today. I stayed less time for the movie than I did for the trailers preceeding it!

I did not know about the total nudity, male and female, full frontal, and full contact sex scene between a 30-something woman and a teen male. My stomach clenched, I left the theatre, and the ticket seller had to call someone so I could get a "see another movie" chit. To say I was appalled would be understating my reaction.

Imagine my surprise to learn that the full frontal female actor (Kate Winslet) is now the proud recipient of a SAG award. I'll never know for what as I'll never watch any part of the film. What I saw was more than enough to know that there has to be another way to convey the story than starting it with that kind of scene. I wonder how many of the other patrons knew what was coming, or was I the only one totally repulsed by the scene?

My friend who stayed to the end later told me it is a "beautiful" film, Kate Winslet totally deserves an Oscar, and I should have stayed for the rest of the movie.

Uh, that would be NO!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you help me understand why male and female nudity is offensive to you? Do you have issues with all nudity in art, or only on film?

I'm not being a smart-ass, although I realize your opinion of the subject is certainly popular.

I really want to understand.

Liza said...

Yeah, it's the full frontal nudity, full contact sex between a 30-something female and a teenage boy. That is something I would not want in the privacy of my own home, and certainly do not want to see it in a movie theater.

I'm such a prude!