Sunday, January 11, 2009

Jumping the Gun

I don't want to say the supplements are going to solve my issues, but I've already experienced a total cessation of the sugar cravings -- really. The change that Boyd suggested is in supplementing the chromium that's part of my diabetic pack of daily vitamins. Chromium addresses pancreas function, which regulates insulin, and obviously my pancreas isn't processing correctly for whatever reason. Boyd said that supplementing the amount of chromium reveals quickly whether it works or not, and it appears to me that it's helping with the symptoms I've been experiencing.

Of course, diet and exercise are vital components of diabetic maintenance, and I've not been in control of either aspect of my life. It's hard to take a walk when I'm dizzy, my eyes are blurry, and my body feels sluggish. My diet has been off because I've not been able to regulate my sugar, and the physical symptoms are a result of the sugar issues, including the incredibly dry skin that is constantly peeling off my body. All in all, it's a continual loop and I needed something to interrupt the looping process and get back in balance.

Yesterday was one of the better days I've had in about 2 months. I felt awake, energetic, had no dizziness, no mood swings, no blurry vision, and a lot less itchy, dry skin. I was able to accomplish in about 5 hours that which has been taking me 8-10 hours a day to do as I prep materials for the classes that start this week. With one of the classes a night class 60 miles one way, I was concerned about the drive home after class ends at 9 pm, based on recent physical conditions. Today, I am confident it won't be a problem, especially as I continue to control my diet and can again begin to walk.

I will monitor myself closely and make a follow-up appointment with my primary care provider to discuss the steroid shots as I still think that was the trigger for the past 2 months' of just not being myself. Of course, I provided my medical history to the plethora of medical facilities, and I expressed concern about this procedure affecting either my asthma and/or my diabetes, and I was assured there would be no problem. But there has been a problem and that's the only cause I can pinpoint.

I may be wrong, but I may be right.

No comments: