Monday, January 12, 2009

A Knack for Timing

I read my horoscope this morning to learn that there would be some change in my job, perhaps even a new job or a new twist on an old job. Hmmm. I then posted my blog on Slumdog and the phone rang. I could have not answered, but I had not left to do my long list of errands, so "Hello?"

The computer created two classes with the same title, the same time/location, and the same instructor; hence, a section of students showing up tonight with no place to meet and no teacher. Would I please take this extra computer foul-up class? Yes, it starts today, but it's the same class I taught last semester, so ... please?

It's now 9:30 and I've been home for about 15 minutes. I left the house this morning at 9 am as I had already planned a pretty full day before starting my teaching load tomorrow, including driving up to the campus to work, as well as visiting the 2 off-campus sites where I'll be teaching. I also had luncheon plans with one friend and a visit with another, but now I had to find time to update the syllabus, pack my teaching materials, stop at the copy room, and find food before the 6 pm class.

Sure, it all worked out: that's what I do. I make it work, whatever it takes. I just wish that once my life was so filled with fabulous people, interesting places, and wonderful things to do that I could honestly say, "I'm sorry, but I cannot possibly fit another class into my schedule this semester."

I haven't figured off if it's better that I'm available and accommodating or appalling that I have nothing else to do/nowhere else to go.

I don't want to know the answer to that one.

No comments: