Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm B-A-A-C-K!

I don't know if it's solely the chromium, but something is working and working well. My sleep cycle has reset itself, so I'm back to going to bed at 10 and waking up about 5:30 am without waiting for the alarm to ring. The days are flying by and I feel energized, alert, and focused. Thankfully so, I might add.

Today, I kicked some serious to-do's off the list and spent a cool $1k before 9 am. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Now, 1/2 of that paid off the crown, which was glued in this morning, and the other 1/2 is a new combo printer/copier. My old copier is giving up the ghost and I need a new cartridge, so rather than throwing $387 at it for a housecall (yes, that's what it costs), I put that money toward the new equipment. And, yes, I installed it and it's working just fine. I didn't connect the fax aspect because I don't want that -- and I'm sure T-W would charge me an additional $10 a month to hook a fax into "their" system. I'm still without wi-fi for my little laptop, but I'm not giving up yet, even though the tecs won't return my phone calls.

I also stopped by the school district office and spoke to the person in charge of my Cobra. When I explained that I had contacted "our" carrier and been told that I will not qualify for insurance with them because I have pre-existing medical issues, she made a call. I'm good. I transition the first of March to CalCobra and should receive a letter this week outlining what's involved and how much it's going to cost me. It's hard to pay for insurance, but one oops without it brings sharply into focus how vital it is to have insurance -- whatever it costs. So, I work as long as I have that bill.

Then, I requested and was granted 2 room changes as neither location was appropriate for the content of the class and/or the number of students who walked in the door. By next week, this will all settle down, but until then, it's a bit stressful. I fixed the completely incorrect syllabus and sent it electronically to the campus printer. I'll get it tomorrow when I also pick up the correct edition of the teacher's text for the class, another cross-off from the to-do list.

But the best part of the day was setting up all the email addresses for the 2 comp classes and receiving responses from a half-dozen students that they have already set up their blogs! For most of the students, this is a first, but if they want to grow as a writer, they have to write. I set aside time to read every blog every week and write a response, and they may grant permission for other class members to read their blogs, too, but they may keep it private (as far as the class goes). I don't correct grammar, spelling, mechanics, but I focus on responding to their critical thinking skills, so it's a safe zone for them to experiment and develop their thoughts.

It's almost as much fun to see how they set up the blogs: colors, accessories, personal profile all help to reveal who they are. One gal posted a great picture of herself and then wrote her first blog entry -- one long humongous sentence! I now know her skill area that needs targeting. Another guy wrote about losing his book on the way home from class, but realizing it in time to walk back along his route and find it, coming across a dead bunny on the way, so he stopped and gave it a proper burial.

With all this energy and enthusiasm, I'm glad something led me to stop by the health food store and ask for help. I finally feel good again.

No comments: