Sunday, December 27, 2009

Capsule Commentary

Since Christmas Eve, I've watched a total of 5 DVDs while cleaning closets, finishing painting projects, and thinking about what is next on the to-do list. Snap judgments and capsule commentaries follow:

1. Julie & Julia is entertaining, but also has a message: everyone needs a passion. After thinking about it for the past several days, I've concluded that is what's missing from my life: I'm not passionate about anything. Perhaps that is an aspect of my life that could use some improvement.

2. The Ugly Truth is also entertaining in the contrast between beauty and the beast, female v. male, fantasy v. reality. Kathryn Heigl is physically gorgeous and comes across on-screen as the perfect female, which also makes her the perfect foil for a coarse, crude, common male of the species. I've concluded that although I'm no Kathryn Heigl, I absolutely do not want a coarse, crude, common male to share my life. Thus, I'm going to continue the wait for my very own elderly Prince Charming to sweep me off my feet.

3. Angels & Demons is exciting, but a bit over-done. There comes a point when you just want the film to end, and not necessarily well, but just be done. Tom Hanks is a good actor, but some members of the supporting cast tried to make too much out of a minor role, and over-acting quickly becomes hysterically funny in a totally serious movie.

4. I Love You, Man stinks. It's not funny, it's not entertaining, it's not well-acted. Oh, that's right: it's a man's movie, so I'm not supposed to relate to it, much less enjoy watching it. I got that right.

5. Without a doubt, the worst movie I've seen since Marty Robbins starred in the ancient classic Hell on Wheels, during which the edges of the set are clearly visible and the race scenes are exterior shots of professional races, is Mail Order Bride, starring Daphne Zuniga and Greg Evigan. I suspect it is a made-for-TV movie that was marketed for the DVD crowds, but it is incredibly awful from the casting to the plot to the alleged conflict to the final scene. It amazes me that these kinds of movies are not just written, but that someone thinks they can make money. This one had to be a tax write-off as there is absolutely nothing about it that hints at a movie studio seriously thinking it was going to be a commercial success.

I walked through the video store again today, but nothing caught my eye, so I didn't rent another film. Guess it's back to the L&O after holiday marathon, rivaled only by the marathon of NCIS episodes. Next week, the networks start the summer rerun season, which is sandwiched between the end of the fall season and the start of the fall season reruns. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

My thought? It's time for me to go back to work!

1 comment:

John said...

We enjoyed J&J, too. However, we had two reservations: 1. the story about the blogger who learned to cook wasn't nearly as interesting and Amy Adams seemed to be over-acting in many scenes, and 2. the conflict with her husband seemed like "insert conflict here" and didn't feel overly natural to the plot, pacing, or story being told. It was like the writer just said, "here is where the conflict goes... I'll figure out what it should be later." It added melodrama to a story that didn't really need it.

The Julia Childs story was so good and Streep and Tucci did such good jobs, we were left wanting more of that.

*reoptor!