Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Moldy Oldy

When the tile floor was installed in the bathrooms, the installer removed the toilets and then reinstalled them. The toilet in the master has been rocking and rolling for the past few years, leading me at one point to drive a wedge between the tile and the toilet bowl.

While cleaning the house for T'giving company, I noticed there was a black border around the base of the toilet bowl. I zapped it with bleach and it disappeared, but yesterday morning, again cleaning the bathrooms, I noticed the black was not only back, but fuzzy, a sure indication of mold -- one of my primary asthma triggers.

My plumber came today, unbolted the toilet, and exposed the very wet floor underneath the toilet covered with mold. He cleaned it up while shaking his head at the shoddy installation of the toilet, and then did the job correctly. He killed the mold with bleach and said it won't come back now that the slow water leak is fixed and a new wax ring is in place.

Job done. Again. I wish I had a dollar back for every one I've spent doing jobs, then having to hire another person to redo the same job.

No comments: