Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Crappy Situation

Okay, so it took me several years to discover that my next-door neighbor had illegally tied his watering system into mine, but once it was (literally) uncovered during digging the foundation for the brick wall out front, I cut him off!

Now, I have new neighbors in that house and another shituation has developed. My dog, Mia, weighs in at 90 pounds. I've been cleaning up her poop for 5 years, so I know what her poop looks like. The next-door neighbors have a Chi-wah-wah, one of the bulging eyes, yippee little dogs that pepper the neighborhood. Along that side of my house, the side that shares a fence with the next-door neighbors, I have to clean up little skinny poop, not in piles, but sort of spread out. Thus, I am led to conclude that my neighbors clean their backyard by tossing it into mine.

Sure, I could march over there in righteous indignation and ask them what the hell is going on, but do I really have proof? Would they really do that? Do I really want to go there with my next-door neighbors who stay to themselves and leave me alone? Should I consider cleaning up their dog's poop the lesser of all the evils I could have to deal with in my life and just move on?

Along the back fence, bordering what I call the "Mexican Highway," the utility easement required by law to provide access to the utility poles, I always clean up a variety of poop, broken bottles, unbroken bottles, paper plates, toys, cigarettes, discarded diapers, etc. Yes, the party people behind me often clean their backyard by tossing it over the fence, which does save on paying for proper disposal. I don't say anything as long as it stays in the easement, but it often comes into my yard because we're so close to one another. Besides, part of me always hopes that if there's enough trash strewn along the easement, the gangs of roaming wanderers will start walking on the street, rather than dashing up the easement in the middle of the night!

Like that's going to happen, right?

I don't enjoy going into the dog run and cleaning up after Mia, which is why I haven't acted on my wanting to get Mia a friend to keep her company. Big piles of poop are not arractive, don't smell good, and all too quickly fill up big plastic garbage bags. I'm equally unenthused about cleaning up after other dogs, as well as my neighbors, but I guess venting in my blog is going to have to be enough as I really cannot "do" anything about it.

Mr. Rogers, is this what you wanted for me in my neighborhood?

No comments: