Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Little Bit of This 'n That

My left hand has been aching for the past couple of weeks. At first, I thought it was from the massive onslaught of wash cloths, but I haven't made one for about a week and my hand is still throbbing. This morning, however, I finally got it: it's from walking the 2 dogs together. Although Princess is really good, she's still young enough to be exhuberant, especially when the dogs along the way bark at us. Mia, on the other hand, pulls me off my feet if/when she encounters a cat! And both of them go nuts if/when there's a desert bunny on the loose.

Hence, very sore left hand, the hand which holds the leashes and tries to keep my body grounded when the girls want to lunge.

Additionally, I've been watching TV; now, I realize that's not something about which I should be bragging, but I haven't watched much TV in the past several years, so it's a treat for me. I have found Crossing Jordan, The Closer, Heartland, Dead Zone, and a couple of the other new, fluffy summer shows. Come to think about it, I doubt that I've watched anything on the major networks because, thanks to Time Warner Cable, my network channels are filled with local business people talking about their wares! It is amazing how many desert dwellers have absolutely nothing else to do but tape shows on dentistry, plastic surgery, weight loss programs, real estate, financial investments--the list is endless.

I haven't figured out yet where Time Warner has hidden all the network shows, but Katie Couric might be pissed to find out that when she begins her evening newscast in this desert locale, she is bounced for a well-known local real estate company hawking its houses!

Next, I'm finally beginning to feel that this is the place I live because it's my place, not the rental I moved into 7 years ago, leaving all my belongings in the garage in the boxes I brought with me. Even though I purchased the home from the landlord the year after I moved in, this hasn't been my home: it's the "rent house" I bought. I've painted, installed carpeting, installed tile, renovated both bathrooms, added both a patio cover and a little front patio with cover, extended the fence and landscaped (even though Mia took it all out of the backyard) once, and now a second time: I've worked hard to turn this into my home, but my heart has never been in it.

I'm fixing up the house so it will be my home while I contemplate what comes next. Do I stay here? Do I move one more/last time? Do I continue to teach for the community college or truly retire? Do I travel or just talk about traveling? Do I leave the house and find people with whom I have something in common to spend parts of my newly-discovered free time? Do I actually go to some of the movies I've wanted to see this summer or continue to stay home because I'm spending all my money on the house projects?

Finally, how many wash cloths can I either knit or crochet before some answers start appearing?

1 comment:

Liza said...

I've caught Princess peeing on my new carpeting twice, but today, there were 3 little puddles. Now I'm the one who is pissed.

I no sooner installed the first carpeting than I got Mia, who destroyed the off-white carpet within 6 months. This new carpet has been down for about 3 months! Mia hasn't peed on it, but since Grady came to stay for the week, Princess has peed several times.

If I can catch her again, I'm going to do the rub your nose in it no-no-no throw her outside maneuver. I only caught her once, but I didn't react too strongly because of her circumstance.

No more Ms. Nice Lady: we're talking about a lot of $$ being pissed away!