Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Update Home Improvement Project: Painting

The house is finished, but the patio cover is not yet painted. It's going to be sprayed, and I may ask the contractor to include the front patio cover, shown in this photo, as it's looking a bit worn, too.

This photo still does not show the true color: it looks washed out, and the color is actually a deep sage green and probably 3 times more vibrant than this photo shows it. I changed the photo in the last blog entry as the shadowed part is more true to color than any other photo I've taken. I guess it has to be seen to appreciate the actual color.

All the little nicks and dings in the stucco are gone, as well as a couple of hooks and a hose hanger. The corners have all been repaired and all the nail holes filled in. The covers of various utilities are painted so they blend, rather than stand out. The guys didn't paint at all behind the corner post for the chain link fence gate, so I got my hands on a paint brush and added my 2 cents to the project. Yeah.

The bricks for the column at the walk, where the gate will (eventually) go, are in the garage, and the bricks are not just the perfect color, but also the perfect texture. It's going to look so good! I'm already planning how to save up enough money to pay for the wrought iron topper within a year as the black against the rich, dark sage green looks so good.

A friend recommended installing hook-up for lighting at the gate, so that is going to be part of the finished project. I would never have thought of that touch, but it's a great idea and will not only look good, but add a layer of visibility between the street and the front entry.

I'm sure I'll drive right by my new house as it'll take some getting used to the new appearance. I hope all the other houses turn green with envy ;-D

1 comment:

Liza said...

The painting is finished, including the patio cover. I'm going to use the left-over paint to touch up the front patio cover. I've asked Carlos to come back on his own time and paint the black anodized window casings in front, the front screen door, and the back slider outline as the black contrast is really dramatic against the paint.

Tomorrow, the brick wall begins.