Monday, August 6, 2007

Re: Yucky Peaches & Creme

If you read a previous blog about my cones of all-cotton yarn, you'll know that I was not totally thrilled with the way the product looks on the cone.

To be fair, I made a wash cloth in each of the color selections and then rated them according to my preference. Now, I should have made all the same design, but that's not me: I just randomly picked a yarn and created a design to see what it'd look like finished.

The top color is Raspberry Swirl, and I like it, but not in the pattern I chose, an old stand-by for a bias-knit washcloth. It's a yarn-over to form an edging, but all the rows are straight knitting, and it doesn't showcase the colors. I like these colors better than the others, but it's a yucky washcloth.

To the right is Sour Apples; again the colors are okay, but I don't like the yellowy tone to it. I thought it was going to be more off-white than cream, and I think I'd like it better if it weren't cream.

At the bottom is Mountain Shadows, and it's not bad. The actual design on the washcloth is one of my favorites, a seed stitch, which makes a slightly exfoliating effect when used in the shower.

On the left is Sea Breeze, which has to be my favorite not just for the color blends, but because it looks kinda "western cowboy" made up. It's the luck of the draw on the design I chose, so I'll have to see it in another stitch to see if it's really my favorite, or just used in this design.

Smack dab in the middle is the worst: Country Gardens. This is the one color I thought I'd really like because it's mauve, green, and white, but it isn't vibrant enough to look like watermelon, and it's too colorful to be muted pastel. I think it just looks little old lady!

So, there you have it. I'll add these to the growing stacks of wash cloths and leave this all-cotton cone legacy for my children to deal with after I have departed my favorite knitting spot on the couch for the big craft club in the sky.

1 comment:

Liza said...

I knit the seed stitch pattern in the Raspberry Swirl, and it is really striking! This is now my favorite as I really prefer the colors in this yarn, but didn't like the first project.

I recommend this color without reservation.