Tuesday, August 14, 2007

You're Hired!

After calming down from the confrontation with Juan and the ugliness of the whole shouting match, I found the card from a neighbor who has his own landscaping business, called, and made an appointment to discuss my vision for the front yard and get an estimate for him to finish it for me. I cannot continue to work this hard for another 6 weeks, which is what it will take me to do this on my own, and there is NO WAY I'm hiring another day laborer and enduring yet another fiasco with who's in charge.

Just so you don't think I picked the new landscaper out of thin air, the other morning, as I was walking the dogs, a man was in his driveway, finishing up washing his car. I admired his landscaping and talked to him about it, and he told me he did it himself as that's his profession. I had his business card because I asked for it. Nothing like your own yard as rock solid advertising for the job you do.

Today, when I called him, he remembered me and we set an appointment for tomorrow evening. I made it clear that I already have my vision, and that's what I want for my landscaping. I don't want him to come up with his plan: I want to talk to him about how he can make my vision a reality. The work includes the totally messed-up watering system--which is key to having right if I'm every going to leave on vacation for a couple of weeks and not have dead plants when I return!

If he can bring this project in for a reasonable amount and have it done in the next week or so, I'm going to suck it up and pay to have this job finished right. Coming on his heels will be the block retaining wall and the house painting, and then I should be able to relax and know that my property reflects who I am and how I care for what belongs to me.

1 comment:

Liza said...

Yeah, this guy will be just great: he must have told me a dozen times that he's not cheap, that he doesn't work for peanuts, that when he does the job, it's done right--but you pay for it.

Does NOT sound like my kind of guy.

Plus, he kept shaking his head at my vision, telling me what he would do and how he would do it, and then assuring me that I won't like what he does and it'll piss him off.

Okay. So scratch another one off the list and move on.

The house will be painted by next Wed, the block wall finished the weekend after that. Then, I have to finish the landscaping with--or without--help from outside sources.

And it's looking like that will be without outside help! Dammit.