Sunday, August 19, 2007

Menagerie a Trois

Grady came today to stay with “the girls” while his mom is visiting her parents. Grady’s an old hand at our house because he comes to visit often. On the days in the past that I went up the hill to teach night classes and would be gone from home for 16 hours, Grady came to keep Mia company so she wouldn’t get into too much mischief or be lonely in my absence.

When Grady was invited to visit in June, during vacation planning time, we didn’t know that Princess would be here, but it’s okay so far. The first hour was a bit tricky as Grady wanted to re-establish his dominance at Mia’s house, but Princess wanted to let him know that she’s here and isn’t going anywhere any time soon. The growls were ferocious, so I put a big bowl of water outside—and locked all 3 of them out of the house for an hour.

Figure it out dogs because this is the way it’s going to be until Friday.

After an hour outside in the hot, muggy desert sunshine, I reopened the doggy door and soon had 3 bodies strewn on the cool tile floor, but separated, not in a pile. Mia and Princess have been sharing the floor pillow and the couch cushion, so something must have transpired outside that included marking distinct territories.

I’m not sure yet how to handle the early morning walk as I have my hands full with 2 dogs and doubt that I can add the third, but we’ll see. Maybe I’ll take the week off? Or take one each day?

I’m not a big fan of taking Grady along as he always has to poop! It’s bad enough to pick it up after it’s dried for a week in the back yard, but scooping up fresh poop turns my stomach. I wonder what he’ll do to retaliate if I simply continue to take the girls and leave him here?

Whatever is going to be is going to be, so we’ll let today take care of today and see what comes tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Liza said...

I did figure out the Grady walk issue: I take the 2 girls, then I take Grady for his own walk. It's worked out well, even though it takes a bit more time.

He's a good old guy and deserves a bit of special attention.