Saturday, August 25, 2007

Making [Illegal] Connections

I wondered why my neighbor's watering system came on at the same time as mine, but assumed we had picked the right times to water because they were the right times. Not so.

I cut off the water in the front yard about a month ago, when my grass was beyond revival and it was time to change to desert landscaping. My neighbor's grass quality noticeably declined shortly thereafter because ... as you can see in the photo, the "family's landscaping business" tied into my watering system when they added the system to their front yard!

In the photo, the property line follows the string and the rebar from the chain link fence to the street. Thus, the pvc pipe is going from my property to their property, and that "t" is much newer than the pvc into which it ties.

I always trust people until they no longer warrant it, and these neighbors have been friendly enough but always pushing the boundaries of both my property and my good nature. This goes one step too far.

Since I cut off the water, my bill went from $130 to $10, a sure sign that something was up. I have gone to the local water district in the past and complained about my bill, especially during the summer, one of the reasons I was determined to take out the lawn. They assured me I had an underground leak, but it was obviously no "leak," but an illegal connection by the neighbor into my watering system.

There is no going back and changing what's already done, but there is no more free ride on my dime. One more reason that no matter how much this project costs me, it is worth every penny!

1 comment:

John said...

That is pretty slick. And it also shows why they wanted to keep the plants between your lawn and theirs from growing-- harder to find tie in points with them alive!

If it was remotely worth your time or effort, you should sue them in small claims court for the water bills for the past few months to recoup the money. But it would cost you more than it is worth to do so.