Friday, August 17, 2007

Pathways

I believe that God puts people in our paths for reasons known only to Him, but when we need someone, (s)he comes into our lives.

Wednesday upset me. I treat people fairly, but I do expect them to meet my expectations, especially if I am hiring them to do a job. I detail the job ahead of time and tell exactly what I'll pay for those services. If we have a deal, good--get to work; if it won't work for you--go find another job. Meanwhile, I start by myself and do what I can. The altercation with Juan was unnecessary, threatening, and just plain mean. I didn't know what I was going to do without any help, but I filled the truck with sod, drove it to the dump, came home, took a shower, and went to teach my night class.

Life goes on, with or without us and our problems.

Last night, as I was returning home from the Thursday class, my cell phone rang. It was the painter, Ray, calling to confirm our meeting this morning, as well as his Monday start date. Just before we rang off, I asked him if he knew anyone I could hire to work with me on the landscaping as it's all torn up and has to be finished one way or another. I know I need help to do that.

This morning, Ray gave me a name and a number. I called and we made an appointment, and just finished our conversation in person. I am ecstatic: this man gets it! He understands my vision, has some great ideas for the rocks and the plants in the main yard, shook his head at the ridiculous mess the watering system is in--and will start work Monday by bringing me the one rock that I just have to have in my front yard!

We drove over to the end street and I showed him both the one lot with lots of great rocks for the landscape, but also THE ROCK, the one that looks like a natural bench that I want to be part of the finished picture. He agreed with me, and he's going to go get it early Monday morning, have his crew clean up the front yard, and then put that one rock in place for me as a promise to complete the landscaping project the way I want it to be.

We're going to go to the nursery to pick out the plants AFTER he places the rocks because he gets it: I don't know what plants will go where until I see the rocks!

He wants to add one of those beautiful, colorful desert Bird of Paradise plants at the corner of the house to hide the watering system valves and the ugly backyard/chain link fence. What a great idea: it's so ugly, and I never thought about using a large plant and a rock to shield it.

As a matter of fact, while Ray is painting and Charlie is building the brick wall, Maya is going to complete the cactus side yard, including bringing in the desert sand covering. He says I'll be happier if I see that my dream is coming true while I wait for it to be finished.

My heart is joyful and my head is optimistic; my checkbook feels empty, but it's going to be done. At last.

No comments: